L1 Visa to Green Card: A Comprehensive Guide

If you’re currently holding an L1 work visa and looking to settle in the United States on a permanent basis, you may be able to apply to transition from the L1 visa to a Green Card based on your employment. In this blog, we’ll discuss the process of changing status from L1 visa to Green Card, the eligibility criteria, and the requirements for each step.

What is an L1 Visa?

The L1 visa is a non-immigrant work visa for a qualifying employee of a multinational company to be temporarily transferred to a parent, branch, affiliate, or subsidiary of the same company in the United States. Once granted, the L1 visa can be renewed in increments of two years at a time until you have reached the maximum permissible period. This will depend upon the subcategory of visa that you currently hold.

Can You Apply for a Green Card While on an L1 Visa?

Yes, you can apply for a Green Card while on an L1 visa. The process of changing status from L1 visa to Green Card is known as an adjustment of status, whereby you are applying for lawful permanent resident status while already present in the United States.

L1 Visa to Green Card: Step-by-Step Guide

The requirements for transitioning from L1 visa to Green Card will depend on whether you hold an L-1A or L-1B visa.

L-1A Visa to Green Card

As an executive or manager of a multinational company, you would generally be looking to file for an employment Green Card under the EB1C category. The criteria under this Green Card category are similar to those for the L-1A requirements. To be eligible for an EB1C visa you must:

  • Have been employed in a managerial or executive capacity at a company or organization outside the United States for at least a year during the three years preceding the petition.
  • Be coming to the United States to work in a managerial or executive capacity for a branch of the same employer or one of its qualifying organizations.

L-1B Visa to Green Card

L1B visa holders can transition to a Green Card through sponsorship by their employer, with options including EB-2 and EB-3 categories. The process involves obtaining a PERM Labor Certification, filing an I-140 petition, and submitting an I-485 form. Processing times can vary, and fees range depending on circumstances.


Transitioning from L1 visa to Green Card can be a complex process, but it’s worth it if you’re looking to settle in the United States on a permanent basis. We hope this guide has provided you with a comprehensive understanding of the process and the requirements for each step.

If you have any further questions or need assistance with the process, feel free to reach out to us at our website. We’d be happy to help!

To make this blog SEO-friendly, we have used the key phrase “L1 visa” throughout the blog. We hope this helps you in your quest to improve your website’s search engine ranking.

Here are some external links that you can add to your blog to provide more information to your readers:

  1. USCIS website – This website provides detailed information on the L1A visa requirements and the process of transitioning to a Green Card.
  2. Department of State website- This website pro immigration lawyer, US Avides information on the different types of employment-based visas available in the United States, including the L1 visa and Green Card.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *